Sponsored by Georgia Roussos Catering
Entry forms accepted: until November 25
Winners announced: December 1
Adult, Youth and Teen Category entries drop-off: November 27 and 28 (between the hours of 10 and 2, must be scheduled through office 251.342.0555)
Professional and Organization entries drop-off: November 29 and 30, between the hours of 10 and 2.
Display of Gingerbread Village: December 1 – 30, 2023
Who can participate?
Adult Category – Individuals 18 years of age and older entering as a single entrant or team.
Teen Category – Individuals between 13 and 17 years of age entering as a single entrant or team.
Youth Category – Individuals 12 years of age and under entering as a single entrant or team.
Organization (schools, businesses, churches etc)
Organization Non-Profit (must be a 501(c)3
Professional (bakeries, caterers, etc)
Professional and Organizations: limit to 15 entries, plus entry fee
Organization Non-Profits: limit to 5 entries, entry fee waived
General includes Adults, Teen, and Youth: size limit, no entry fee required
All entries must fit the theme of Holidays on the Gulf Coast
Professional and Organization
- Limited to 15 entries
- Requires entry fee of $35
- Base of support can be no larger than 24×24 inch
- Limited to 5 entries
- Entry fee waived
- Base of support can be no larger than 18×18 inch
General (Adults, Teen and Youth)
- Base must fit on a 6 inch deep support, but may be as wide as 12 inch
- All Gingerbread Houses must be 100% edible candy/embellishments/materials except for lights ‘inside/outside’ the house. Non-edible support structure material other than the baseboard may not be used. No artificial interior materials, such as Styrofoam or wood, are to be used to construct or decorate the house.
- All materials must be shelf stable (no refrigeration required)
- Non-edible materials such as paint and/or ribbon are approved and encouraged to
decorate the outer edge of your plywood base only.
- All designs must be original and reflect the theme – no premade kits
- Entries must be solely constructed by the individual(s) entering the competition. Teen, Youth and Child competitors may be supervised, for safety precautions, by a parent, legal guardian, or classroom teacher. Example: assistance with operating a stove top
- Only one gingerbread house per entrant either solo or group
- Please include your name and gingerbread house title on the bottom of the base gingerbread house on base
- Registration forms must be turned (via online form or dropped at office) by Tue, Nov 27 at 12pm
- Gingerbread houses must be dropped off from Tue, Nov 27 – Thurs, Nov 30 between 10am-2pm at the Mobile Botanical Gardens | 5151 Museum Drive
- All houses must be picked up by Thursday, Jan 4. Houses not picked up will be disposed of.
Judging and Prizes
The entries will be judged by a panel including representatives from the MBG Board of Directors; the Executive Director, Robin Krchak; event sponsor, Georgia Roussos Catering; retired baker, Sybil Burnett; local caterer, Georgia Roussos; City Council representative, Gina Gregory; and County representative, Connie Hudson.
1st, 2nd and 3rd Place winners in the Professional and Organization category will be recognized with ribbons as well as receive cash award as noted below. Organization Non-Profits will be recognized with ribbon placements and cash awards. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Place in the categories of Youth, Teen, and Adult will be recognized with ribbons as well as receive MBG gift certificates and event t-shirts.
All 1st, 2nd and 3rd Place winners will have their creations featured in the MBG e-newsletter, and on our social media platforms. The entire gingerbread display will be open to the public from Friday, December 1st through the end of December.
Professional and Organization
- 1st place: $500
- 2nd place: $250
- 3rd place: $125
- 1st place: $300
- 2nd place: $150
- 3rd place: $75
- 1st place Adult: T-shirt plus $50 MBG Gift Certificate
- 2nd place Adult: T-shirt plus $25 MBG Gift Certificate
- 3rd place Adult: T-shirt plus $15 MBG Gift Certificate
- 1st place Teen: T-shirt plus $50 MBG Gift Certificate
- 2nd place Teen: T-shirt plus $25 MBG Gift Certificate
- 3rd place Teen: T-shirt plus $15 MBG Gift Certificate
- 1st place Youth: T-shirt plus $50 MBG Gift Certificate
- 2nd place Youth: T-shirt plus $25 MBG Gift Certificate
- 3rd place Youth: T-shirt plus $15 MBG Gift Certificate